5 Ways Pregnancy Affected My Eczema


I married my husband 10 years ago. Unlike most of my friends who got married, we held off having a baby. It was because of my topical steroids withdrawal (TSW) and protopic withdrawal (PW), which affected my health so much that having a baby was impossible, at least it felt so. Two years ago, after many years of healing, my husband and I decided to give it a go and 3 months ago I gave birth to a beautiful boy.

I would like to share how my skin changed during my pregnancy and after giving birth.

1. Pregnancy made my eczema worse from the second trimester

I cannot remember where I read this (it was a comment from one of the TSW doctors) - apparently, there are three ways eczema reacts to pregnancy: 1) improvement, 2) aggravation, and 3) no change. Each has a 1/3 chance. 

When I discovered that I was pregnant, I had clear skin and great health. Soon, people started commenting on my so-called "pregnancy glow". Sadly, it didn't last. From the 2nd trimester of my pregnancy, I was badly hit by pollen allergy. My skin quickly flared up. It continued to get worse until I gave birth (red, flaky and wrinkly skin, although not as bad as TSW..!). Three different doctors advised me to use topical steroids. There is data indicating a relationship between low birth weight and the use of topical steroids during pregnancy, yet topical steroids are widely considered to be safe during pregnancy. In the end, I was prescribed non-steroidal creams (Eczaid, Vea Olio, Weleda, Sudocream), which I tried but noticed no difference. I look miserable in the pictures taken in the labor room. Yet, I'm happy to let you know that my skin started improving considerably since giving birth and as of now it is pretty back to normal.




2. Allergy got worse

Many websites say that allergy symptoms can become more severe during pregnancy, which was true in my case. The problem I faced was that the medications I could take during pregnancy were limited. I used to take Bilastin, which kept my allergy under control, but it wasn't supposed to be suitable during pregnancy. My gynecologist prescribed me Polaramin. I also took over-the-counter Loratadine, which is recommended on the NHS website. They didn't work so well for me. Unfortunately, as far as I was told by several doctors and midwives, there isn't much help available to relieve the allergic symptoms during pregnancy. 

3. Eczema patches appeared where I never had them

Very itchy eczema patches appeared on my belly (*picture below), fingers and right thigh, where I never had eczema before. They look like typical eczema (not like TSW symptoms), and it gradually spread. It was stubborn, insanely itchy eczema. I'm glad to let you know that they all disappeared naturally after giving birth without using any medications.

4. Pregnancy made me sweat like crazy

Before pregnancy, I barely sweat even during the height of summer and the hot weather used to improve my eczema. But, the whole summer during pregnancy I sweat like I never did before! It affected my eczema as well as my mood. During the nights I would wake up feeling suffocated, almost giving me panic attacks. This continued until a few weeks after giving birth, when it was already the autumn. Since then, I haven't had the same issue. I'll see how I react in the next summer  -I doubt that it'll affect me the way it did.   

5. Relaxation was the best medication for eczema during pregnancy

Pregnancy can be stressful, and stress can trigger eczema. I started taking yoga classes and regularly had massages to alleviate stress. I noticed I didn't scratch when I'm in the yoga class or the massage room. I didn't feel itchy. I kept practicing yoga and taking massage until a month before I gave birth. I can confidently say that both helped me relaxed and heal my skin.

-------------------------------------------------------

My family and I are surprised at how much my skin healed after giving birth without any medications. Even my midwife and doctor commented on how I looked better after pregnancy. I probably could've healed much faster if I slept better though - oh well, lack of sleep is a rite of passage for new parents and I feel immensely lucky to be able to experience it.

Comments

  1. Seems hormone fluctuations can really mess with immune response to allergen. High progesterone causes my allergies to flare. Good to hear eczema comes and goes now, like normal adult eczema should.

    If you don't mind me asking, did you go through Dr Sato NMT protocol or did you just heal slowly via TSW?

    I am a carer for my partner who is currently going through TSW and trying to inform myself as much as possible so he doesn't give up hope. It's very gruelling takes real determination. Very inspiring to see ppl do end up on the other end of healing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I followed Dr. Sato's NMT protocol for years, although I must say that I wasn't very strict with it as it wasn't very easy to accurately monitor how much water I took each day etc. I can imagine how hard it would be to care someone going through this. I wish your partner speedy healing.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I am also currently going through steroid and protopic withdrawal (I just past the 3 year mark) and I wanted to thank you for introducing NMT to me when I first started withdrawing!

    How are you doing today? And when would you say your oozing symptoms stopped? I am unfortunately oozing even today and I know everyone is different, it just helps to hear other stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I too developed worse flare in pregnancy with daughter and even worse postpartum for 4 months. Been on protopic off and on and wondering if I am having normal eczema from hormones or protopic withdraw.. any feedback would be great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment