How Topical Steroid actually affects your skin - follow-up post

This is just a quick post.

After submitting this post about Dr. Fukaya's experiment, a few people asked me how long it will take to recover from the damage of topical steroids(TS). Dr. Fukaya kindly gave us some answers to this question. 

He hasn't examined his skin under the microscope, but he shared one of his articles written in 2009. It was about the same experiment done at Pennsylvania University. Dr. Fukaya translated his article to English and you can read it here.

 In the article, Dr. Fukaya says:

"Having been conducted on healthy subjects, inflammatory response was not seen and skin atrophy recovered soon. Atopic skin would have manifested strong inflammation in response to irritants. "

He also said that after TS is applied to healthy skin, after a month or so, it would be temporarily thickened and then return to normal skin.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery x

Comments

  1. Tommy, thank you for all the info you provide in your blog. My daughter is 20 months and she has had eczema since she was 2 months old. She used Triamcinolone, and Protopic on her face for over a year, and now she is in the 7th month of TSW and we feel disappointed because she is still with big red patches on her face. I got Dr. Sato's book "No to topical steroids" but unfortunately, I can't read japanese. My daughter looks like the first little boy that appears in the book and I will like to know what does it say in page 4. Can you help me with that page please!!! The rest of the book I have been translating with google translator, but since those pages have pictures, I can't translate... Thanks in advance, my daughter and I will really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello cllyann, thanks for your comment. I'm happy to translate, but at the moment I'm away from home on business until the summer and don't have the book with me. I thought that the color picture page of the book just mentioned that the fact their skin improved after TSW. Not much info as regards to the detailed treatment or symptoms.

      Delete

Post a Comment